There’s much more we can do to speed things up, if we only turn over the right stones. Whether you’re using WordPress or not, many of these principals can be applied. However we’ll use WordPress as our test case.
Jeff Barr’s book on AWS is a very readable howto and a quick way to get started with EC2, S3, CloudFront, CloudWatch and SimpleDB. It is short on theory, but long on all the details of really getting your hands dirty. Learn how to:
- get started using the APIs to spinup servers
- create a load balancer
- add and remove application servers
- build custom AMIs
- create EBS volumes, attach them to your instances & format them
- snapshot EBS volumes
- use RAID with EBS
- setup CloudWatch to monitor your instances
- setup triggers with CloudWatch to enable AutoScaling
I would have liked to see examples in Chef rather than PHP, but hey you can’t have everything!