Cloud deployments and migrations are moving at a rapid pace. There are huge advantages to businesses that deploy in the cloud; from flexibility to a new level of automation. But there are also plenty of challenges.
Push to the cloud – advantages
- Flexibility – invest nothing up front – bring computing resources on and offline at will
- Automation – from scriptable infrastructure components to autoscaling
- Disaster Recovery – a suddenly cost free script-only solution
- Seasonal Traffic Applications – the cloud is uniquely suited for many websites
- Easier rollout of patches & upgrades, easier deployments, no hardware or networking headaches
- Easier compromise response – take instance offline & spinup a new one
- Easy setup of dev, qa & test environments
Challenges deploying in the cloud
- Lower SLAs & less reliable servers – use automation to mitigate
- A lack of perimeter security – security groups offer a new model
- Questions about where data is located & compliance
- Variable Disk I/O – EBS performance can be a challenge for MySQL databases
- New Procurement process – Are cloud resources considered capex or opex?
- Big cultural shift – pushes best practices and automation into web operations