Scalability in the cloud depends a lot on application design. Keep these important points in mind when you are designing your web application and you will scale much more naturally and easily in the cloud.
1. Think twice before sharding
2. Bake read/write database access into the application
3. Save application state in the database
4. Consider Dynamic or Auto-scaling
5. Setup Monitoring and Metrics
The cloud is not a silver bullet that can automatically scale any web application. Software design is still a crucial factor. Baking in these features with the right flexibility and foresight, and you’ll manage your websites growth patterns with ease.